Tuesday, January 22, 2008

1/48 F-15I Ra'am





This one was another relatively early attempt on my part at doing a conversion. The decals and a few resin bits (needed to make the F-15E into an F-15I) were from Isradecal. The kit itself, from Revell, went together quite nicely and the conversion was pretty easy. Weapons had to come from a Hasegawa weapons set, as none were included in the Revell kit. Testor's Model Master Enamels were used - the radome, for whatever reason, got a little gooned up - the paint started cracking. I lightly sanded it - not down to the plastic, but just enough for the cracked and flaked paint to go away. After a couple clear coats, it evened out and took on an actually nice weathered look.

The decal set includes numbers for just about every panel on the jet, so it takes a while. But the results are worth it. Weathering was with an acrylic sludge wash and pastel powder.

Halfway through the project I found out that the cockpit of the F-15I is flat black, for enhanced NVD compatibility. However, I had painted mine gray with black panels, in typical USAF/USN fashion. Oops!


Kit: Revell
Scale: 1/48
Markings: IDF/AF
Date: 2004-05
Aftermarket: Isradecal markings and conversion

No comments: