Saturday, March 15, 2008

1/48 F-14D

This was the first project I've done intending to give to someone else (though truth be told, I haven't figured out the logistics of getting it to its recipient yet...).

The kit is Hasegawa's F-14D, with the addition of Eduard's "Big Ed" photo-etc set and TwoBobs decals.

Here's what Eduard's set buys you with the ejection seats:


And here's what it gets you in the cockpit:


Construction is relatively straightforward. Hasegawa's Tomcat is what some might call over-engineered - more parts than are really needed to make the kit work. While this admittedly complicates assembly, it also allows the company to put out different versions of a subject. To me, this flexibility makes it worth the added effort in assembly. Another manufacturer might label the box "F-14D" but to get an accurate portrayal you might have to do a lot of work to what is REALLY a model of an F-14A, for example.

It took me two tries to get the cans right, because I forgot that in the D you don't generally see the "one open, one closed" thing like you do with the A's. But it was easy enough to get right. They were painted with Alcad.


The friend for who I built the model flew F-14Ds in OIF, so I endeavored to arm it appropriately, using Hasegawa weapons sets. To create the ablative coating on the bombs, I worked one at a time, coating a bomb with ProWeld (Tenax or any other similar cement would work just as well - you could probably use lacquer thinner too), then dabbing at it with the coarsest sandpaper I had while it was still soft. I mounted them to the model using small lengths of wire.


Painting was fairly straightforward, using Testor's Model Master gull gray for most of the plane and Ford Engine Blue for the accents.


I used Two Bobs' decals for VF-213, the squadron my friend flew with.


The base is a Custom Dioramics section of carrier flight deck mounted in a picture frame. I elected to put it UNDER the glass for durability, given that I intend to part with this EVENTUALLY.

Now to hope I can get it to its intended owner before they find it online!!


Kit: Hasegawa
Scale: 1/48
Markings: VF-213
Date: 2007
Aftermarket: Eduard photo-etch, Hasegawa weapons, Two Bobs decals

No comments: